Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Jack and Jill Revisited

Last weekend I was revisiting old notebooks, like 10 years old or more.
I came across a series of images designed around the idea; what happens when nursery rhyme characters grow up?   Some of the ideas did get made, Mary and her little lambs, the 3 kittens who lost their mittens.....
But a whole notebook full of ideas and stories was abandoned.
I don't remember why that happened but I was delighted to find the drawings again. So, the red line drawing at the top of this post is right out of the notebook. Water Pail Park? What is that about?
The next image (above) is me starting to use the ideas and make a composition. Once I worked through several versions, I settled on the design below.
Then of course the big question is how to bring the piece to life as an embroidery. I knew I wanted to keep the designs small, this one is just a little over 5" x 7". And I knew I didn't want to risk stitching something so detailed and so small through a water soluble layer. 
So I printed the design directly on my fabric. First I backed it with freezer paper then ran it though my printer. I stay with the standard 8 1/2" x 11" paper size but the next time I think I will keep the image the same size but print on an 11" x 17" size fabric.
After printing but before I removed the freezer paper I colored some background areas with color pencils. The color didn't really last until the end of the embroidery process but it helped me keep track of what was what. 

Then I started  stitching. I work in my hand, no hoop, or at least rarely a hoop.

And here is the finished embroidery. Have you figured out the nursery rhyme?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Young Angel

A different palette for me.  

And the original drawing.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Crash Course in Creativity

Tina Seelig has an amazing class online called 
I have posted all of the links on my docent blog.

Monday, July 8, 2013

From Sketching to Stitching

As you know I have been sketching and stitching angels. 

In the past I have used Transfer-eze, a sticky back, water  soluble stabilizer as a way of transferring a pattern to black wool. But the sticky adhesive is just too difficult to stitch through so I tried a different water soluble stabilizer that I have a 50 yard roll of!
Much better. Just basted in place and was able to stitch through both layers easily.

Of course it is always just a little bit late that I realize I should have rinsed the black wool a couple more times to make sure there is no more dye waiting to come out and spoil things when I am done stitching.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Christmas In Space, or Stumpwork In Space part 2

I have an entire book filled with drawings of who should be living in my Rocketland.

Perhaps they will show up in my work soon. 

It is so much fun to revisit these embroideries!

All aboard!

Craters of sequins.

The first glimpse of the River of Stars. 

And, as promised, how they celebrate Christmas in Space.

But of course you already knew that.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Stumpwork in Space, Part 1

I need a break from the Gardening Angel.
Here is a series "Rocketland" begun in 2010. 

My designs, my digitizing and my craziness.

I was experimenting with the concept of stumpwork done with an embroidery machine. I sure it would work if I had any inclination to pursue it.

Since Rocketland is one of the places to visit in the World of Possibilities, I felt like revisiting these designs to see what I might want to do next.

Bits of snaps, buttons and hooks are lost in space.

Perhaps it is her key chain for the rocket.

Tomorrow I will show you how they celebrate Christmas in Space!

Monday, July 1, 2013

Gardening Angel Progress

As I work I often feel as though I am making no progress. Then I look at my last blog post and I can see that isn't true.

The angels arms and hands have sleeves and all are attached to the bodice.

The yellow winged underskirt, at the top of the green velvet skirt has been replaced with a hand dyed silk yarn.

Mama bird can now feed her little ones in peace.

I removed the pearl button fish. They were cute but just not right.

Blog Archive